Dogwood Community Achievement Scholarship
The Charlottesville Dogwood Foundation recognizes the importance of students being actively engaged in community service. The Foundation wishes to promote the importance of giving back to the community. Therefore, the Foundation has established the Dogwood Community Achievement Scholarship for one graduating senior who best personifies an ongoing commitment to “exemplary community service.”
The Community Achievement Scholarship will award $1500 to one graduating senior who will continue their education to a post-secondary institution.
- Must be a current student of Albemarle, Buckingham, Charlottesville, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Nelson, or Orange County Schools.
- Student must have completed a minimum of 24 hours of independent community service hours within the past twelve months
- Student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for all high school course work.
- Student must submit the completed application form and complete the essay.
- Students must include two letters of recommendation. One must be from a school official and one must be from an individual who directly supervised their service at the service location, (family member recommendations will not be accepted)
- The “official” transcript of grades must be a sealed document and include the student’s most recently received grades. If service hours do not appear on the official transcript, the student must document obtained service hours received in the past twelve months on a separate sheet and include the community service completed, the name of the agency where the community service was provided, as well as the dates of service and total hours earned.
- Student must be accepted into a post-secondary institution.
- Students must submit a well-developed, typed essay on their community service experience.
- Checks will be written directly to the admissions department of the school of your choice.